Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I just sit on the couch and watch TV all day, right?

Well, I keep on meaning to post pictures from our trip here on the blog, but hosting the pictures in Imageshack and then linking them here is a bit of a pain, so they will be posted on Facebook, which is where I'm more active anyways. What I was thinking about today, though, is how I'm a stay-at-home Mom. When Jeremy told his classmates (who are mostly female) that his wife stays at home with his son, they were really surprised and, supposedly, impressed. I was thinking, 'What's the big deal?', but as I've lived in and learned more about Savannah and visited with more people, I'm learning that stay-at-home moms really are an oddity. I have two friends who work as nannies, and there are always tons of advertisements for daycare and childcare, preschool, etc. I've been more daycares here than the rest of my life combined. There are often daycares across the street from each other. It's a little crazy.

Sometimes I wonder, should I go to work and put Tayvin in daycare? It would be nice to get out of the house regularly, interact with other adults more and use those skills that I learned in college. Then this morning, I picked up Tayvin to lay him in his crib for a nap, and he laid his head on my shoulder and snuggled into my arms. If I were at work, I would have missed that. And yesterday when our microwave came in a huge box, he immediately grabbed the bubble wrap and took off into the living room, waving the plastic above his head like a prize. I can't imagine missing that, and all the other adorable things he does. I also wonder what would happen if Tayvin had a tantrum with a nanny or at daycare. Who would teach him? What would they teach him? How will he know what is right and wrong? How our family works? I will.

I hope that moms who need to work don't feel like I'm criticizing them, because that's not my intent. I just know that for me, if I had to leave Tayvin at home and go to work, it would break my heart. I am so thankful that I'm not in a position where I have to work to support our family, like so many women I know. I love being a stay-at-home Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment